Yam_Tech314's official build thread

Snapchat-1700492939.jpg

Just about there now. Only a handful of major steps to go!

Attachments

• 16231092441226855642000356363784.jpg
    16231092441226855642000356363784.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 59
Got it done in one night thanks to my awesome girlfriend and helper. She helped with cam timing, camchain master link riveting, and head torquing. Wouldn't have been able to do it without her.

She even said "let me know when you're ready for lifting it into the frame" oh my. She's a keeper for sure!

Snapchat-231642070.jpg
Snapchat-356944293.jpg

Speaking of hurdles... What is the best method you guys all recommend to getting this pig in the bike?

I'm sure there's a million ways to do it, but I've got a little less experience putting things back together again than you guys! Lol

Debating lowering the bike sideways onto the motor, but we lifted the motor pretty easily off the bench, holding it still would be challenging, but I'm torn between which is most effective.

Attachments

• 16231622853035010032491953341025.jpg
    16231622853035010032491953341025.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 53
For you, the easiest way will probably be laying the bike frame over onto the motor. For me, I have lift "handles" made up that allow me and a helper to lift the motor like a stretcher and wiggle it into or out of the frame .....

fPVHbkZ.jpg

urN4sFu.jpg

These should help .....

Zf2MCbf.jpg

K0dm4em.jpg

kdvXTdb.jpg

Remember to attach the small eye of the engine ground wire to the front condenser mounting screw .....

3v9VYJ5.jpg

The large eye runs over to the other side and gets trapped between the motor mount and engine .....

s2P9zro.jpg

0rdr6xg.jpg

So... Now what? I have to get a few miscellaneous bolts and nuts for the motor where there weren't any from the get go... I'm missing a bolt for the starter gear cover, and somewhere down the line I either misplaced a motor mount but, or it never had one...

I also need to set my valve clearances, and put motor oil in it. I connected as many wires as I could. The rest are unconnected because I can't figure out what to do with them. The alternator is connected to the harness, so is the starter solenoid, safety relay, reg and rect. Hell even the horn is plugged in. I don't know what connectors I need to find for my condenser, nor do I have ANY of the front end wiring/switches ready to be wired up.

What I need help with:
Identifying the proper orientation of condenser connections.

Figuring out what kind/size hose I need for the rear brake reservoir to connect to the master cyl. And do I need hose clamps for it? (I'd like to get both front and rear brakes working today.)

I don't think so. If it's a piece I can get at the hardware store I have no problem doing so. I have been moving out piece by piece. Workbench is gone, toolbox remains and so do the three Bikes. I'm down to my last two or three boxes of XS650 parts and I don't have a single piece of hose to go along with the bike.

Your condenser is actually a condenser "pack", two condensers mounted end to end. Of the two wires coming out, one comes from each condenser. You pair one with each set of points. The connections are shown in my 1st few pics in post #1052. There are two female double bullet connectors coming out of your harness, one on a gray wire, the other on an orange wire. The orange points wire and one condenser lead hooks to the orange double bullet. The gray points wire and the other condenser lead hooks to the gray double bullet. It doesn't matter which condenser lead connects to which double bullet. The other ends of the gray and orange wires with the double bullets run to your coils. The orange wire connects to the orange wire on the left coil. The gray wire connects to the orange wire on the right coil.

PAzSKOS.jpg

1mDQ2DT.jpg

Back