Engine Rebuild XS 650 SE US Custom 1980

Jan_P

Tool Owner
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Hello Gentlemen ...
The other day i got the crankshaft approved at the workshop. A bearing replaced
And alignment. its OK.
I would be interested to hear ..if anyone out there have info as to what other parts that Normally needs replacement. when rebuilding. I have a new cogwheel for the second gear i plan to put in.
Do i need to replace both cogwheels or just the one with visible. worn contact surface.
For info The cam was worn .. a chip on the edge of one lobe. Hardening issue they say .
But not on the contact surface it was still usable according to the shop ...but i have a better one to install ..Camshaft bearings needs to be changed.
One of those had to much play.
I have a better used clutch .. The gearbox Bearings ?? do you change those.
I have not at the moment inspected cylinders or valves. But that is obvious. To measure and inspect.
If the answer is already posted i apologize. Not sure about the actual mileage.
But i believe 44 000 miles.
Im not after a perfect Restoration job.. To expensive But something not to bad .. i have had the bike since 1986 . it was banged up an cheap when i got it -- and i plan to keep it. I have two of the same kind and Year model. One running and one in parts
Greetings from Cold Sweden...

Welcome. Cam chain usually needs changing and front guide. The rest is checking for proper clearances. Pistons and cylinder bore. Do a search top left corner engine rebuild read the threads. :thumbsup:

Back