good welder for small projects?

the miller matic runs off 110. I have a 180 that runs off 230. if ide waited two months to buy it, ide gone with the miller matic. I was already wired for 230, the previous owner of my house was a welder too, so, no sweat there, but would still be nice to go to freinds house and weld there for them.
the difference between the 110 verion and the 230 verion(that I can tell) is the 110v welds 1/4", whereas the 230v version, (which I have)welds 5/16. no big deal when welding thin wall tubing on motorcycles, but good to have if you have a neighboe with a tractor that needs repair every once in a while.

I have a Hobart Handler 140, perfect for anything a a motorcycle. Still want to get a tig, but for general purpose you can't beat them.

To me the best part of getting a 110 unit is portability. I have taken mine to buddies house and built him a trailer rather than hauling all the stuff to my shop.

difference between the hobart 110 & miller 110 are the control knobs....hobart "clicked" into position, whereas the miller was smooth throughout the range offering a bit more control, and if i remember correctly, the miller was fitted to handle more wire size options?

Miller makes a NICE tig that runs on 110 0r 220-it knows when you plug it in. But it's over $2K.

I have a Thermal Arc 185 tig that I like. There's a thread on thechopperunderground.com where the guy tests a $300 scratch start HF tig, and he does awesome welds with it. As they say, its not the arrow, its the archer. :)

John

I went with the Hobart Handler 140 as well. I tried going the cheapie route and wasted my money. I should've went with the 140 a long time ago. Plus parts and consumables are readily available. Hobart is made by Miller.

Like they say what's your budget. I like the millermatic 211 runs on 115 or 230. Welds Thickest metal in class and you can get it for under a grand.

Last edited:
Not worth it.. Check out cyberweld.com they have free shipping on everything as well. Will not typically find a lower price. If you need a cart for the welder, harbor freight has a cheap one that will work just fine. Otherwise, buy some steel and use that as an excuse to practice with the welder and learn how it welds.

I paid $200 for my Millermatic 135 off craigslist and couldn't be happier with a 110 unit.

I'm currently in school to be a code welder. I picked up a Hobart 140 best deal is one from tractor supply they have the cheapest price. It's a great welder for small projects and small jobs.

I have a Diversion 160. It works fucking awesome. Really easy to use for a first time welder like me. The only thing that I could say is that I sometimes wish I had MIG. Less setup time to weld than TIG and easier to weld on weird angles.

Back