For those other lazy heads here's that paint code
From kingwj
'79 cobalt blue
Autocolor 2KE8B it was a perfect match.

So here's the front with the rotor on. still needs some spoke polishing but I decided I had to ride it.
79front.jpg
Sorry if I'm boring you but you'se guys are the only ones who care at all. Gotta share a bit, I have a pretty solid 2 3 days in the front end so far.

Next up I think this is going to be the exhaust
It had standard headers with some slip ons.
The slip ons are available if anyone is interested.

79oldpipes.jpg

These are MikesXS mufflers on early stock headers.
The 79 headers are 40mm and those mufflers won't fit but the early headers are 38mm and the mufflers slide on nicely. A few brackets and some better clamps should do it.

79pipes.jpg
What do you think?

That code wasn't easy to come up with. Think I dug it up on a European Yamaha site. It is an absolute perfect match for Cobalt Blue. Glad you found the post on the old site and could use it. I love the stock bikes but wish the factory pipes were obtainable, since they are so prevalent they really finish off the restorations.

Ok here's mine after a tear down and a good cleaning, tuning ect.

Attachments

• JWXS3.jpg
    JWXS3.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 163
  • JWXS4.jpg
    JWXS4.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 231
  • JWXS5.jpg
    JWXS5.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 188
dude-ler

Very nice. Would you mind telling us a bit more.......

Curious about the shocks, exhaust and bars. Maybe more to the bike than meets the eyes.

Looks very Good Fleckstra; are those the MikesXS mufflers and looking closer head pipes? I just did my first ride with those mufflers today and really like how they work and sound! Tell us what you think about your dual disk with (I'm guessing here XS1100 special rotors?

dude-ler and Fleksta...EXCELLENT! Perfect examples of what I consider the ultimate XS. Essentially stock, with some tasteful technical and appearance upgrades.

Very, very nice. Gives me something to shoot for as my raggedy example matures. Gonna be a busy winter...

Yep, the exhaust is the full MikesXS Commando kit. I love the sound, throaty but not obnoxious.

The dual disk setup is a kit sold by "gangstahats" here on the forum, I'm very happy with the upgrade. I think he said that these disk's were off an XS750. I just need to find a new master cylinder; with the stock one I'm not getting full stopping power until the lever is all the way back against the bar.

Some pics from my first trip on my XS650 '77D..

Attachments

• 2012-07-06 21.14.02.jpg
    2012-07-06 21.14.02.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 136
  • 2012-07-06 21.13.38.jpg
    2012-07-06 21.13.38.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 143
  • 2012-07-04 16.34.48.jpg
    2012-07-04 16.34.48.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 121
  • 2012-07-03 16.08.23.jpg
    2012-07-03 16.08.23.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 165
Dude-ler:

Also curious to know what kind of paint you used, if any, on your springs.

VCP

I powder coated them with a base coat of super chrome from NIC industries and then with candy blue. Same on the forks. If any thing has my signiture it would be the shocks. I've done this a few times and people always ask about the shocks. I did a rusty old set on a super magna and made them yellow like dirt bike shocks. people loved em.:bike:

dude-ler

Very nice. Would you mind telling us a bit more.......

Curious about the shocks, exhaust and bars. Maybe more to the bike than meets the eyes.

I can't really speak on the bars or the pipes as they were on the bike when I bought it a couple of years ago. The shocks however are stock units I've powder coated.

Back